Matt McCubbins is a trial attorney at Faegre Baker Daniels LLP, an Am Law 100 law firm. He is a member of the firm’s real estate and construction litigation team. Matt handles dispute resolution related to all types of construction and real estate issues, including commercial real estate development, acquisition/divestment, leasing, management, and financing.
Matt has been selected for inclusion in Indiana Super Lawyers—Rising Stars 2018 in the area of Business Litigation, and Kentucky Super Lawyers—Rising Stars 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017 in the area of General Litigation. In 2012, Matt was selected for inclusion in The National Trial Lawyers Association—Top 40 under 40 Trial Lawyers in Kentucky. In 2015, Matt completed The National Institute for Trial Advocacy’s National Session Trial Skills Intensive in Boulder, Colorado, taught by some of the finest trial lawyers (and people) in the country.
Matt has first-chair, lead-counsel experience in all stages of litigation and trial. Matt has trial experience in matters involving real property acquisition, eminent domain, breach of contract, commercial landlord/tenant, retailer liability, hotel liability, professional liability, and professional licensure defense. In addition, Matt has litigated matters involving premises liability, agricultural products, property insurance coverage, bad faith, ADA compliance, real estate transactions, property development, deeds, easements, foreclosures, construction contracts, mechanic’s liens, fraud, and governmental investigations.
Before joining Faegre Baker Daniels in 2016, Matt practiced commercial, tort, and regulatory litigation in the Louisville, Kentucky office of a large, national firm. Before entering the legal profession, Matt held positions in branding, sales, and marketing in the consumer products, pharmaceutical, and health care industries in Chicago, Louisville, and New York.
- Indiana Super Lawyers – Rising Stars (Business Litigation), 2018
- Kentucky Super Lawyers – Rising Stars (General Litigation), 2013-17
- National Trial Lawyers Association – Top 40 Under 40 in Kentucky, 2012
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA), National Session Trial Skills Intensive, Certificate of Completion, 2015
- Case Western Reserve Law: Multiple Dean’s List Honors and Highest Class Grade Awards; Top 15% Class Rank
- Bellarmine University: Academic and Athletic Scholarship Recipient
- Indiana Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association
- Board Member – The Todd Crawford Foundation to Cure Paralysis, Inc., 2014-Present
- Commonwealth of Kentucky, 55th Judicial Circuit Court, Hon. Rodney D. Burress, 2007-08
Developments in Korean Corporate Governance: Progress Toward 21st Century Standards in an Emerging Economic Powerhouse , International Trade & Business Law Review, 2008
Services & Industries
- Construction Litigation
- Real Estate
- Real Estate Litigation
- Litigation & Advocacy
- Complex Commercial Litigation
Case Western Reserve University School of Law J.D., cum laude (2007)
Bellarmine University B.A., Economics (2000)
U.S. Dist. Ct., Western Dist. of Kentucky
U.S. Dist. Ct., Eastern Dist. of Kentucky
U.S. Dist. Ct., Southern Dist. of Indiana
U.S. Dist. Ct., Northern Dist. of Indiana
U.S. Dist. Ct., Southern Dist. of Florida
An accomplished endurance athlete, Matt has completed three Ironman triathlons. He was also a member of the Bellarmine University baseball team.